Monday, August 23, 2010

Encouraging

Sometimes I can't believe how much influence I have over the boys.

How the right words, at the right time, in the right voice can calm their fears or stop a tantrum. How excited they get when I stop what I'm doing to join in one of their games. How much they need me when they are hurting or scared. How happy they are just to see me every morning.

Its really amazing...and also a little terrifying. I have so much control over who they are, what they do and ultimately who they will become, but half the time I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to parenting them.

So it was very reassuring to me today when this conversation took place:

Buddy (home from a trip to the dentist): Buster, I got two really cool stickers!
Buster: Oh wowie, wow!
Buddy: Which one do you like?
Buster: Yellow one!
Buddy: that's my best one too.
Buddy: Mom?
Me: Yes?
Buddy: Can you tear my best yellow sticker in half so Buster can share it too?

Sure, they have tantrums and talk about butts and have trouble staying seated at dinner. But when I see how kind they can be, how thoughtful they are to each other, I think that while we may let them watch too much tv, at least we're getting the important stuff right.

Of course, it could have nothing to do with me. It could be that Wonder Pets episode about sharing we keep letting them watch over and over again.

9 comments:

  1. Aww that is so sweet! I get nervous about what kind of person I am making my son too. I just do my best and hold my breath sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely NOT the Wonderpets. :) That's a really nice story about sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So precious...I shed a tear. Take some credit here, you taught them the meaning of brotherly love. Good work!


    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! I love when my kids have those kinds of moments.

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this brotherly exchange! I think you ARE defintiley getting the important stuff right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a precious story. I read through your blog ~ it sounds like you are a wonderful mom with a wonderful family.

    Happy ICLW!
    tina, #172

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, that's cute. congrats on your kids and happy ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's gonna work...teamwork! Seriously, take credit where credit is due. Your boys sound wonderful.

    #28 ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I'm totally getting caught up on this blog! How much do I LOVE that Buddy wanted to share his sticker with Buster?! So adorable :)

    ReplyDelete