Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Is It Really Worth It?

A friend called me last night; she'd just read my last post.

"Tell the truth," she said "is having kids really worth it?".

"Yes." I told her.

"No, honestly. I mean, I know you love the kids so much, I know that you'd never not want them in your life now, but seriously, if you could go back to your pre-kid days, knowing what its really like, would you still want to do it?".

"Yes, honestly. I would still want to do it."

I went on, trying to explain to her that being a mom is hard - really hard, but that it's also the most amazing thing I've ever done. She didn't sound entirely convinced. I don't blame her, the whole thing doesn't make too much sense until you're actually a mom.

I just think that until you've experienced it, there are no words to really describe motherhood. It can definitely be frustrating and boring and exhausting in ways you cannot even begin to imagine, but it can also be more incredible than you ever dreamed.

Even now, even with everything going on with Buddy, when he snuggles up next to me at night, his chubby little feet jammed into my stomach, his breath in my face, I look at him and I feel this enormous amount of love that I never knew existed.

It doesn't make me forget the frustrations of the day, but yes, it really does make them all worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Aw! Very sweet post! Every single minute is special. Some of them are harder than others but every second is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You summed it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete